Welcome!

Welcome to my genealogy blog where I am putting on pictures that I have acquired of my family. Along with any history that I find on them. If I have met that person and can remember something about them, then I will add that story too!
Some of our family names are: Utterback, McKenzie, Armstrong, Riggs, Ralston, Parker, Maupin, Dilbeck, Leister, Smith, Clough, Bowyer, McPherson, Andrews, Howard and Allen. I will only be putting on those last names up to my fourth generation, as you will see in the tabs. If I get too many last name of a different generation, I might need to put that on also. Example: Dilbecks.
I am glad ya'll came a visiting and hope to see ya back!
Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, August 15, 2011

The McKenzie Line

Here is the only picture I have of my great-grandfather, Frederick Neile McKenzie.
It is of his wedding day 31 January 1900. He was married for only 14 years before he passed on. He knew, according to my Aunt Shirley, that he was dying and ask his best friend, William Maxey, to marry my great-grandmother and take care of their two children. One being my grandmother. William Maxey a year later did marry my great-grandmother and they were married for over 40 years. True friendship, wouldn't you say?
Grandpa Fred and William were in the Spanish-American war and then moved up to the state of Washington, I am thinking to work in the mines in Idaho, as the 1900 Census says he  and William were miners in Elk County, Idaho. He and Beatrice Rae Parker were married 31 January 1900.
Here is the information that I found online through military gravesites:
Fred McKenzie was a First Sergant, Company C, 1st Idaho Inf.  On the grave
stone in Washington it said he died on May 12, 1914.  Grave site #1-D-3

Another lady, Julie, wrote to my grandson this information: Fred Neile McKenzie is buried in Orting at the Washington Soldiers Home and Cemetery.
He is listed on findagrave.com
Sgt Fred Neile McKenzie
Birth: Nov., 1866
Santa Cruz County
California, USA
Death: May 14, 1914
Orting, Pierce County, Washington, USA
Spanish-American War United States Army Soldier.
His service was in the Spanish American War, he enlisted at Boise Idaho on 13 May 1898 as a Sargent and was discharged as a 1st Sgt on 25 Sep 1899 in San Francisco, Calif.
He was married to the former Miss Beatrice Rae Parker on the 31st of Jan 1900 and had two children, Rodetta & William.
He passed away at the Washington Soldiers Home in Orting, Pierce Co., Washington on 14 May 1914.
Inscription:
1ST SGT CO C 1 INF SP AM WAR
Burial:
Washington Soldiers Home Cemetery
Orting
Pierce County
Washington, USA
Plot:
Created by: Carolyn Farnum
Record added: Jun 18, 2001
Find A Grave Memorial# 5551300


You gotta love the internet and all the good information that is out there, to help us find our ancestors! Here is a close-up of Fred from the above picture.




No comments:

Post a Comment