Welcome!

Welcome to my genealogy blog where I am putting on pictures that I have acquired of my family. Along with any history that I find on them. If I have met that person and can remember something about them, then I will add that story too!
Some of our family names are: Utterback, McKenzie, Armstrong, Riggs, Ralston, Parker, Maupin, Dilbeck, Leister, Smith, Clough, Bowyer, McPherson, Andrews, Howard and Allen. I will only be putting on those last names up to my fourth generation, as you will see in the tabs. If I get too many last name of a different generation, I might need to put that on also. Example: Dilbecks.
I am glad ya'll came a visiting and hope to see ya back!
Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mattie Myrtle Maupin (Armstrong)

Mattie Myrtle Maupin born to Harry Daniel Maupin and Mary 'Ellen' Andrews on November 16, 1884 in Fayette, Howard County, Missouri, United States.
Married Frances 'Marion' Armstrong at the age of 18, on January 22, 1903, in Commanche County, Texas, United States.
Died before her husband at the age of 60, on November 12, 1945, in El Centro, Imperial County, California, United States.
As we can see from these dates, Mattie moved a lot in her life. In the family Bible, owned by Mattie, she writes they moved to California on October 27, 1927. A few of her sons, were already there, in which I will tell you their stories later.
Marion and Mattie have eight children, all lived to adulthood. I have met 7 of the 8 children, as Uncle Ross passed away before I was born.
I will type their names and dates of births, as it is written in Mattie's Bible.
Ross Armstrong was born Oct 19, 1903
Gracie May Armstrong was born March 30, 1906
Harry T Armstrong was born Sep 9, 1908
John Frank Armstrong was born Dec 1, 1910
Vic Armstrong was born  Nov 28, 1912
Mary Armstrong was born Sep 20, 1915
Hughie Dale Armstrong was born March 28, 1922
Raynell Armstrong was born April 8, 1925

Mattie must have liked the little photo booth to take pictures and send to her children as I have a few of those pictures:
on back it says: Isn't this a peach - Mama 1937 (this is my favorite, as I like her smile.)
same time 1937

on back it says: not very good, March 18, 1944

different pose, March 18, 1944

on back it says: Mama, (I think this must be 1945)

Mattie must have had a hard life as a farmers wife. Sometime as a child, with her family they moved from Missouri to Texas. There she met and married Mr. Armstrong.
Date on back of picture 1923. Lived in Texas at this time.

During the dust storm and ruined crops they moved to California in 1927 will what belongings they could carry and their daughters and their youngest boy, called 'Son' or Dale. (I met him as Uncle Son.) They settled in a little valley, called Imperial Valley of the town of El Centro.
They were able buy a house with enough land to start growing their food and raising chickens.
Sometime during this period, 1927-1940, Marion, had an accident with some farm equipment, to which he didn't have the use of his brain. Great-granny Armstrong now had to find a way to support herself, her husband and what children were to left. The older boys, were on their own and sent money home to help support the family. Great-granny Riggs, kept the chickens in supply so that she could sell the eggs.




She also took in laundry and at different times had borders. It must have been hard, especially doing extra laundry, as El Centro is desert and hot in the summer time. From my mother and aunts and uncles, always said Great-granny Armstrong was so nice and pleasant. They all looked up to her, as a mother and grandmother.



Thanks for stopping by and learning about my great-grandmother, Mattie Armstrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment