Welcome!

Welcome to my genealogy blog where I am putting on pictures that I have acquired of my family. Along with any history that I find on them. If I have met that person and can remember something about them, then I will add that story too!
Some of our family names are: Utterback, McKenzie, Armstrong, Riggs, Ralston, Parker, Maupin, Dilbeck, Leister, Smith, Clough, Bowyer, McPherson, Andrews, Howard and Allen. I will only be putting on those last names up to my fourth generation, as you will see in the tabs. If I get too many last name of a different generation, I might need to put that on also. Example: Dilbecks.
I am glad ya'll came a visiting and hope to see ya back!
Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

William 'Denver' Riggs

I think he's a cute baby. Glad to have a picture of him this young.
William Denver Riggs was born August 10, 1896 in Bonham, Fannin County, Texas. His parents are: William Emerson Riggs and Emma Elizabeth Dilbeck. He along with his wife, Juanita and his brother, Ted, moved to California during the late 1920's.

Uncle Denver did serve in WW I, in the Navy.  I would like to find more information of his military service.


During WW II he was a Merchant Marine and travel to China and Japan. He served at least for 2 1/2 years that I could find information on. It amazes me as he was 48-50 years old during this time of his life, he felt the need to serve and he did!
On Dec 24, 1922 he married Juanita Davis in Noble, Cleveland County, Oklahoma.  Shortly after they moved to El Centro, California.  Around 1923 or 1924, they moved up to Maywood, near Los Angeles as two daughters were born in Los Angeles. Juana Jean, in 1924 and Betty Louise in 1926.
He and Juanita were divorced around 1936. He remarried sometime in the late 1940's to Doris Eddy and later divorced her. I did know Doris and loved to go into her resale shop. As a little girl and going into that shop was so much fun, just seeing all those old clothes and jewelry, I got to dream how fun it would be to play dress-up. Uncle Denver was at most of our family gatherings when I was a child, when he and Uncle Ted got together, there was so much laughter. Uncle Denver is a person you just loved as he was so much fun to be around. He was shy, soft spoken, and we all loved him. He passed on April 12, 1977.

This is how I  remember Uncle Denver, always happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment